How to look energetic and current in today’s younger generation job market and still be yourself.
It’s hard to believe you’re getting older even when you still FEEL really young on the inside. If you’re in mid-career, and competing for a job among the twenty-somethings, remember, you’ve got more wisdom, experience, breadth and depth than does a twenty-six year old person. You have years of gathering knowledge and the maturity to make sound decisions — you’re a fantastic and powerful woman! Here are some tips on presenting yourself as current and powerful. You can make an impact with your put-together look, dress with vitality, and still be YOU:
Tip #1: From the neck up, make yourself look current and hip.
- Get a trendy hairdo. If you’ve been going to the same hair stylist for ten years, it’s time to get a new perspective. I know it’s scary, but remember if you dislike the results, HAIR GROWS! A new stylist can look at your assets and give you a fresh and youthful look.
- Wear makeup that highlights your best facial features. Go to Sephora or a department store and get a free makeup consultation before your interview. I suggest makeup colors for my clients, and wearing the right makeup makes a huge difference. As you get older it’s more important to use moisturizing products that give you a dewy glow.
- Get your teeth whitened. Young teeth are sparkling white! Old teeth are yellow.
Tip #2: Wear colors that make your skin look radiant!
- The right colors make you look radiant, healthy and ten years younger. Your skin tone and hair color are changing, so the colors you wore ten years ago may not work for you anymore. Story time: I’m over 40. I was in Trader Joe’s a few weeks ago buying groceries and wine, and the young checker asked me for ID. At first I was flattered, then I thought he was joking, then when he seriously made me produce my driver’s license I knew he thought I looked younger than my age. Turns out this is a trend to ask people who look 40 and younger for ID. I’m still flattered he thought I was 40! I swear it’s because I was wearing vibrant, radiant colors. Get your colors done by a professional and wear them all the time. It will change your life.
- Wearing your colors is a transformational experience. Your true beauty shows up. Your outfits will always be color-coordinated and put-together.
Tip #3: Wear clothes that fit you like a glove, look stylish, and look like YOU.
- Tailored clothes give your body the structure it may not have
- Current trends appropriate for a job interview are: leather skirt paired with a soft flowy blouse and tailored jacket; mix and match textures such as a tweed jacket, cotton blouse and pencil skirt; peplum suit jacket over a slim pencil skirt
- Take your clothes to a tailor if they don’t fit your body perfectly — especially your interview outfits
- Choose a neckline that complements your face shape
Tip #4: Accessorize, accessorize, accessorize!
- Add a colorful scarf to pull your outfit together, look chic, and cover your neck
- Wear a beautiful necklace and bracelet in your metal
- A pop of color can come in the form of a purse or sophisticated shoes
Leave A Comment